RE: PARALLEL QUERY

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 06:58:36 -0500

Deepak,

More than likely the optimizer determined that a parallel query with just 4 PX slaves is not more beneficial than a serial scan, whereas 16 slaves is more beneficial. I've never seen this before, but then again our databases are configured to maximize parallel performance, so any parameter related to parallelism is set to a larger than average value.

To validate what the optimizer is doing, set event 10053 for each query and review the optimizer's decisions.

Also, remember that hints are just that, a hint or suggestion, not a "force".

Dave

David C. Herring, DBA  |   A c x i o m  Delivery Center Organization 630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of DBA Deepak Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:50 AM
To: oracle-l
Subject: PARALLEL QUERY

Hi Experts,

Have a problem related to parallel query execution. I have a setup of Oracle 10g (10.2.0.3) on solaris 64 bit and on a 16 core CPU system.

When I execute parallel hint in the query the following happens.

Does not use PQ processes for the query:

select /*+ parallel(bt,4) */ from big_table bt;

Does use PQ processes for the query:
select /*+ parallel(bt,16) */ from big_table bt;

Please help me in understanding why this happens.

--
Regards,

Deepak
Oracle DBA
intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be
legally privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.

of it from your computer system.

Thank you.