Re: CAST vs. TO_NUMBER or TO_CHAR or TO_DATE or ...

From: David Taft <oradbt054_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:31:54 -0400

Jared, I can't take credit for the idea of using cast for the elapsed time. I borrowed the idea from one of the Oracle developers I know.

Rumpi, I'm no expert on ANSI syntax and functions versus Oracle proprietary standards and functions. I personally don't use ANSI join syntax because that is not how I initially learned SQL. If an ANSI function does a better job from a performance or functional standpoint than a proprietary Oracle function then I say go for it. As a DBA, it doesn't bother me to see ANSI style joins in the database. It just takes me a little longer to understand what the query is doing since I don't use it all the time myself.

Cheers,

David

On 10/11/07, Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens_at_gmail.com> wrote: Any thoughts on the importance of CAST's ANSI compliance vs. the Oracle proprietary nature of the "TO_" functions?

On 10/11/07, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote: Very nice.