RE: Oracle and Linux kernal versions

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:16:48 -0400

Good point: for this particular system it is not RAC, just Dataguard, so no OCFS involved. I have other RAC systems using OCFS so I can understand the issues you ran into: ocfs is built for specific kernel versions, so if you change that you are supposed to update ocfs/ocfs2. I think you can get the source rpm's directly and rebuild them on your own server, but I don't do that.

From: Taylor, Chris David [mailto:Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com] Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 12:13 PM To: Crisler, Jon
Subject: RE: Oracle and Linux kernal versions

Apparently, I can't reply to the whole list, but are you using OCFS for the disk format? (Instead of say, ext3)

You could run the risk of breaking OCFS (I think) but unlikely.

I had a situation where we did some updates that required an update/recompile of OCFS a couple of years ago. However, after doing the recompile of OCFS, our OCFS filesystems wouldn't mount and we lost all our datafiles. So we had to rebuild our mount points and restore the database. Not fun.

So if you're running OCFS on the filesystems double check with the OCFS support site to see if there is any issue running a previously compiled version of OCFS with a new kernel.

Chris Taylor

Sr. Oracle DBA

Ingram Barge Company

Nashville, TN 37205

Office: 615-517-3355

Cell: 615-354-4799

Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Crisler, Jon Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:14 AM To: oracle_l
Subject: Oracle and Linux kernal versions

We have a situation where we need to fix a SAN disk issue on the target side of a Oracle 9.2.0.7 with Dataguard. The fix is to upgrade the kernel version from 2.6.42 to 2.6.55. However, we cannot get downtime right now to fix the source side.

My feeling is that it is ok to update the target Linux server kernel for now, and they update the source side as time permits. The only thing I am advising is to relink Oracle. Any thoughts on this strategy?