CPU service, FETCH calls wait event

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:17:48 -0400

Okay, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. I traced a session that was running unexpectedly slowly and after processing it in orasrp the main wait event was "CPU service, FETCH calls". I couldn't find this phrase on Metalink or in the indices of both Kirti's book or Gaja's book. Cary's book had some information on CPU service but I'm still not entirely clear.

Looking at cpu usage from top I see
 8.0% idle, 54.6% user, 6.3% kernel, 31.2% iowait, 0.0% swap

I suspect I know what is causing the issue but I'd like to know if this situation would result in this particular wait event going up. Currently the unix folk are cloning all the disks using the SAN storage array. They claim that this should not have a major impact on server performance but I'm pretty sure it's responsible for the high iowait and suspect that it could be causing the high CPU service, FETCH calls waits. Does this make sense?

Oracle 9.2.0.7
Solaris 2.6

Thanks,
Jay