Re: Removing duplicate subtrees from CONNECT-BY query

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:24:16 +0200

Riku,

    Great question. Unfortunately, CONNECT merely refers to a particular way of traversing the rows, and there is, to my knowledge, nothing to tell Oracle to prune a subdirectory it has already visited - it would mean remembering all the nodes, ouch. Duplicates are just a natural thing in trees. We all have ancestors who appear several times in our family tree. You could of course try to manage it yourself with a cursor, a PL/SQL table and a stored procedure but I think you mentioned performance ...

If I understand well your problem, the question is "what are the descendants of <some thing that identify a row here> (condition #1) that also verify <something that tells you you have what you want> (condition #2).
What about reversing the problem? If condition #2 is selective enough, perhaps it would be simpler to search for condition #2 first, and check that there is a row among the "ancestors" of the row found that verify condition #1? I assume implicitly, of course, that you don't want to do this for millions of rows, because then all things considered a brutal DISTINCT on the result set may well be the most efficient ...

Short of that, I would question the design ...

HTH Stéphane Faroult