Re: RAID 5 7+1 with oracle

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:44:10 +0100

I'm not convinced your interpretation of the graphs is correct.

Left graph p9: Total for 4 disks (2d + 2d)

Writes on the 10K rpm start to hit their catastrophe point at 400 IO/s Writes on the 15K rpm start to hit their catastrophe point at 600 IO/s

Right graph p10: Total of 8 disks (7D + 1P)

Writes on the 10K rpm start to hit their catastrophe point at 400 IO/s Writes on the 15K rpm start to hit their catastrophe point at 600 IO/s

Exactly the same limit despite having twice the spindles.

If you want to compare write TIMES, you should be looking at the right graph on p9: 4D + 4D (eight disks) which get to the catastrophe point at 800 and 1200 IO/S

The same applies with read TIMES - surely you should be comparing the two right-hand graphs. (I'm a little surprised by the similarity of the graphs for reads - in a simplistc queueing theory model I would approximate the RAID-10 as 4 x M/M/2, and the RAID-5 as 8 * M/M/1 with 7/8ths load - and expected the M/M/2 to outperform the other). But maybe it's not really valid to call RAID10 M/M/2; maybe hp just have some dirty tricks (or errors) in their algorithms that even things out.

If you want to compare volume of data stored, of course, that's a completely different matter.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals