Re: RAID 5 7+1 with oracle

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:35:14 -0700

In order to avoid a religious war I'll just offer this:

Look at:
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-7923ENW.pdf

This document shows that RAID5 (7D+1P : page 10 right graph) is far better than RAID 1(2D+2D : page 9 left graph) both on read and write operation.

From a price/performance perspective RAID5 beats RAID10 by quite a bit. Also, today's high end storage arrays have a very fast asic chips and large cache that make the two very competitive.

Personally I've done numerous muti-terabyte (20TB-75TB) DW benchmarks using RAID5 and have had no complaints on the performance.

Depending on how dirty you want your hands to get... pick up Oracle Orion tool [http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/orion] and do some read & write tests.

You might want to use some discretion with the BAARF stuff. I think much of it is outdated. Storage technology has probably changed quite a bit since 2000. CPUs certainly have.

Another resource is:
http://www.storageperformance.org/results/benchmark_results_spc2

Many of the arrays have been tested at both RAID5 and mirroring. Check the reports for the details.

On 10/4/07, ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net> wrote:
>I have read the BAARF articles about RAID and write intensive Oracle
>databases. Are any of these problems mitigated with RAID 5 7+1. I did
some >googling, but the 7+1 part is not really clear. Has anyone worked with >this?

--
Regards,

Greg Rahn
http://structureddata.org