standby redo log groups

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:13:28 +0100

Ok so I am writing up creating a 10g DataGuard environment here. The docs generally seem a bit iffy to me - I don't like location or role based db names for example, what happens when computer centres move or there is a role switch?. This bit from the 10gR2 docs seems a bit like fretting over nothing to me.

Using group numbers can make administering standby redo log file groups easier. However, the group number must be between 1 and the value of the MAXLOGFILES clause. Do not skip log file group numbers (that is, do not number groups 10, 20, 30, and so on), or you will use additional space in the standby database control file.

Well it seems to me that the space used will be minimal in comparison to the database size and that clearly separating logfiles by name, by role and by group number can only make things clearer - especially if a redo group gets added later. Am I missing something or is the controlfile size the only issue here?

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--