Re: what's the difference between "CPU I/O Wait" and "db scatter/sqenecail wait"

From: qihua wu <staywithpin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:00:34 -0700

Hi, Alberto,

Thanks very much for your message.

Based on the formula you mentioned, if the cpu is always 100%busy for a long time. Then the time that actually wating to be scheduled will be counted as "wait for IO". If this is the case, then oracle will mislead us that IO is too busy with the fact that CPU is too busy.   t0 := get wallclock time [ gettimeofday() system call ]   issue read request to the OS (a system call)   ---> the time between the read is completed and oracle process get running (if cpu is busy, then this time maybe long) <--   t1 := get wallclock time
Am I right?

Thanks,
Qihua