Re: {Disarmed} Role transition

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:47:49 +0100

On 10/2/07, Senthil Subramanian <skumar.sen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Carel-Jan,
>
> Thanks for your valuable input on this.
> I did try switching roles on a small 9i test database back in 2002, but
> never really implemented in a real production environment.
> We have a sound DR solution but never got a chance to test and implement
> the role transition.

Please don't take this personally - since the above is a fairly common thing to happen, but if you never really tested in a real environment then how (unless you have recently survived a disaster) do you know you have a sound DR solution.

We have a 'sound' fire procedure where I work, when we actually tested it about a year back we found it took 8 minutes to evacuate the (3 floor) building and 20 to account for everyone. In other words testing the real procedure in the real environment showed us some problems. DR is much the same. You have to, regularly, test it for it to be worth the monetary investment in setting it up.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA