RE: centos to redhat

From: Amar Kumar Padhi <amar.padhi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:26:00 +0400 (GST)

Mike,
I have been using Fedora (redhat community version) on few dev/test boxes. On production/staging we stick to supported distros for want of support continuity and to adhere to oracle's licensing terms. If you have paid oracle's support cost, I don't think you should have problem with bearing the os cost (these decisions would have been taken during the initial purchase/vendor selection phase).

Your sysadmin is technically correct as all distros use the same base kernel (with additional dependent packages). What is required is to look at the selection from business continuity and licensing requirement point of view.

Others in this forum will also warn you on this, it all part of vendor relationship management.

If you want a more concrete fact, raise an SR with oracle on this and hear their opinion.

thanks!
amar kumar padhi
www.amar-padhi.com
pushed from PDA