Re: high db hit ratio and a lot of waits on db sequential reads

From: <genegurevich_at_discover.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:53:10 -0500

Terry,

Looking at one of the AWR reports, db file seq reads contributed 44% of total wait time - 20mil+ waits, 93000 seconds We are currently looking at the SQL and trying to see if it can be tuned. The SQL does a lot of table accesses
via a Primary key followed by the table read as I understand.

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             "Terry Sutton"
             <terrysutton_at_usa.
             net>                                                       To
             Sent by:                  "oracle-l" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f                                          cc
             reelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: high db hit ratio and a lot of
             09/27/2007 10:34          waits on db sequential reads
             AM

             Please respond to
             terrysutton_at_usa.n
                    et

Gene,

You haven't really given us any meaningful information. What is "a lot" of db file sequential read waits? How much time is spent on these waits? Just
because that's your biggest wait event (most waits or most time?) doesn't mean there's a problem. Give us a bit more data.

If your CHR is 99.5% (for instance), that means that .5% of your logical reads have associated physical reads. That .5% is what's causing your sequential read waits. If that .5% is too high, then maybe the 100% is too high. I.e., you're doing too many logical reads. As others have said, check your SQL. Find out what queries are doing the most LOGICAL reads and why. If you reduce the logical reads you'll probably reduce the physical reads. Your CHR may go down, but CHR is a meaningless number anyway.

--Terry