RE: Training for Oracle Performance tuning - Method-R is easy

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:18:43 -0400

I agree with Ted. To my mind, the phrase "getting the whole instance running well" means making sure that each of the important processes runs in an acceptable period of time, and the way to do that is to apply Method R.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Securities Processing Databases Americas One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ted Coyle Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 8:36 AM To: fmhabash_at_gmail.com; sunil.kanderi_at_gmail.com Cc: 'oracle-l'

"This approach refuses to give any attention to instance level tuning. On some occasions, they won't even read a statspack report. "

I just have to jump back in here. I never read statspack reports.

I use Method-R to fix problems large and small every day. I've posted a real life example inline with the method. In this case, I did make a system
level change and I had no prior involvement with this client's system.

  1. Select the top user actions for which the business needs improved performance.

----> System response time had grown worse over time. One report in particular used to take 15 minutes, but now took 2hrs. This report can't be
run in batch. They really needed this particular report to run faster since
it had to be kicked of by end users.

   2. Collect properly scoped diagnostic data that will allow you to identify the causes of response time consumption for each selected user action while it is performing sub-optimally.

-----> In this case, we examined the xplans and key init settings
first.
It turns out they had skewed data and were biased toward table scans. I didn't trace, it wasn't necessary and as quoted from Jonathan Lewis, "The
first (and only) rule of optimization is: Avoid unnecessary effort." We
tested based on changes to one setting to determine scope.

   3. Execute the candidate optimization activity that will have the greatest net payoff to the business. If even the best net-payoff activity
produces insufficient net payoff, then suspend your performance improvement
activities until something changes.

-----> the solution was to adjust optimizer_index_cost_adj. The net
payoff
is that the report ran faster. The subsequent test will be to see if anything goes slower. If so go to #4 otherwise were done.

Other options were suggested buy client resources, but all involved substantial effort or code changes, none of which was going to happen.

   4. Go to step 1. ----> So far we're monitoring and all is well.

I didn't guess about the solution, but I did take a risk adjusting a system
setting. This risk turns out to be acceptable to the business because it
solved their immediate problem and any subsequent issue can be resolved quickly using this approach. The problem was 4 months old by the time it
landed in my cube. I was able to determine the issue and suggest a solution
in 4hrs. It took 4 days to review and implement.

Again, this was business focused. I didn't need tracing to figure it out,
this would be the next step if necessary, but I didn't need to go that far
to make the report run faster.

I don't know what's so hard about implementing Method-R; knowing what to fix
once you know what is wrong is the hard part. I provide the options and let
the business decide. I have a 100% success rate with Method-R and I still
haven't made it 100% through any of my 100+ books.

-Ted