the state of bugs in Oracle

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:05:10 -0500

I enjoyed Tim DiChiara's somewhat humorous (and provocative) gimmick about our top 5 list for Oracle:
http://eyeonoracle.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/09/24/your-oracle-wish-list-2/?track=NL-786&ad=602957&asrc=EM_NLN_2270516&uid=3056056

Those comments that speak to Oracle's QA strike a chord. For the second time in a row, I just had a bug backport request denied because it did not have enough priority. I understand that Oracle DEV is swamped and they cannot work on everything. What gets under my skin is when a bug for the latest release available cannot be fixed. For this particular SR, we are running 10.2.0.3 on linux x86_64. 11g is only out for 32-bit, and 10.2.0.4 is not out yet (not to mention the code is locked down). So here I sit with two bugs on the latest release that will not be patched because they are fixed in a release that is not available. What am I missing?

I have met some of the fine folks in Oracle DEV and have always been impressed. This is not a smear campaign, nor a rally against Oracle. I am merely confused and would like to be enlightened. The impression I get, as a DBA and metalink user, is that Oracle does not care about these measly little bugs. Perhaps that is merely the vibe I get from Support. I do know for a fact that some employees do care.

--

Charles Schultz

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Sep 27 2007 - 16:05:10 CDT