RE: Training for Oracle Performance tuning (Optimization)

From: Ted Coyle <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:44:57 -0400

The Hotsos classes I've taken changed how I "optimize" Oracle, so I can't say enough good things about the Hotsos folks.

Independently, I know people who have attended Mr. Shallahamer's courses as well and have found them equally beneficial.

As for your course selection, what is it that you most want to accomplish: reactive performance optimization, or preemptive, performance-based SQL development?

The SQL Intensive will give you great SQL development and adjustment techniques, but my opinion is that this class is better for developers and secondarily beneficial to database administrators.

The Reactive class appears similar to the Hotsos Performance Diagnostics which is more in line with production support.

Have you checked out METHOD-R?

What about Craig's book?

Forecasting Oracle Performance:

If you can't take both classes, make sure the focus is what you expect.

Personally I'd opt for Hotsos Performance Diagnostics first, but then I really like Method-R.

From: <> [ <>] On Behalf Of Sunil Kanderi Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:08 AM To: oracle-l
Subject: Training for Oracle Performance tuning

I am thinking of enrolling in an Oracle tuning class and I have narrowed down to the two options below. I took one Oracle DBA class from Oracle and I was pretty disappointed since the instructor was pretty bad and it was very clear that whatever real world Oracle DBA experience he had, was quite dated. But the class served it purpose though, since Oracle requires(devious in my mind) one instructor-led class before you can get certified in 10g. I realize it is hit and miss if you take a class from Oracle, so I am not considering their courses.

First Option:

Advanced Reactive Performance Management for Oracle taught by Craig Shallahamer.

Second Option:

Hotsos's Optimizing Oracle SQL, Intensive

Both classes deal with Oracle tuning and I realize that the curriculum is not exactly the same, but I was wondering if any of you that took these classes have any feedback on how good or bad they were. Any other instructor-led classes that you can recommend for performance tuning?.