Re: Weird database hanging

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:53:01 -0500

We *think* we have found the issue, and it isn't quite Oracle-related (of course).

The SA had been doing a Veritas online relayout on the disk partition that is our archivelog destination. He aborted it, but rather than aborting, Veritas left it in a "paused" state. This happend 20 minutes before the bulk load that caused our first instance hang. Note that we *were* able to archive logs, it just seemed to have caused some more waiting than normal. This was compounded during bulk loads, and in the end caused a crush of shared pool and library cache latches.

This situation was discovered yesterday and the times seemed all too coincidental. The state was corrected and we've been happily bulk loading anything and everything since then.

In the end, we recognize there is plenty of room for improvement in the application code (and horrible inefficiencies in the app database design), but were quite certain that wasn't the root cause of this problem. I'm still pretty upset with Oracle support over their blinders and insistence that the problem was "properly diagnosed" and ignored all of my input and feedback.

Don.

--
Don Seiler
oracle: http://ora.seiler.us