Re: Weird database hanging

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:02:36 -0500

  1. I assume Support mentioned open_cursors and session_cached_cursors because the ADDM report mentioned them.
  2. You are right that I couldn't log in during the hang. However Support has clued me into the "sqlplus -prelim / as sysdba" that does let me log in. I was able to issue the oradebug commands then to try to get the level 10 system state dump. However the session gets booted before the dump finishes, although by then there is quite a lot of info in the dump already (a 7+ MB text file).
  3. No it isn't RAC nor is it ASM.
  4. Per Oracle Support I have generated ASH, AWR and ADDM reports for the time period of one of the "hangs" yesterday, in addition to the RDA tool. However the ashrpt file doesn't have the string "enq" in it anywhere. Perhaps I'm being dense as to what you meant.
  5. We are not using huge pages. My SA says he'll set it up, since it can't hurt now. I'm reading the Puschitz tuning page about it now. I suppose shrinking the SGA or shared pool is always an option.

One other difference between old and new servers is that I have enabled the default degree of parallelism on our "warehouse" tables and indexes, and set NOPARALLEL on our frontend objects. On our old hardware it was kind of random which tables or indexes had it enabled and what degree was set. Also our parallel_max_servers is 32, where before it was 8. I don't think it would hurt to bring it down again.

Don.

--
Don Seiler
oracle: http://ora.seiler.us