Re: Weird database hanging

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:20:16 -0500

I have opened an SR with Oracle, as it has hung 3 times today and actually crashed once.

When the database hang, Ignite is showing "latch: shared pool" and "latch: library cache" waits. Otherwise I don't see these at all.

Oracle has had me up OPEN_CURSORS and SESSION_CACHED_CURSORS, but I did that last night (with instance restart) and, as I said, it has hung 3 times and crashed once since then. Oracle's also telling me that this is largely due to application coding. My problem with that is that the application code has been in place for a while.

To recap: we migrated to the 64-bit machine on Sep 1. Hanging has occurred since Sep 13, seemingly during bulk load activity. Our SGA is quite a bit larger (16 GB) than on our 32 bit box (1.5 GB).

db_cache_size                        big integer 12G
shared_pool_size                     big integer 2G

I haven't seen the "block change tracking buffer space" wait since yesterday morning, thankfully.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don.

--