RE: rman allocate channel suddenly taking forever

From: Alvaro Jose Fernandez <alvaro.fernandez_at_sivsa.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:02:17 +0200

Hi Gerald,

Maybe it would help to activate the rman debug option before the allocate channel (haven't tested it personally BEFORE alllocate channel, though)

run {

    debug on;

     allocate channel .....

    debug off;

    backup database format '%d_dbf_%u' filesperset 1;

    backup current controlfile format '%d_ctl_%u';

   }

alvaro

Any suggestions as to what we might look at? What exactly happens internally during the allocate channel command? My rman catalog db is generating 3.1 Gb or archive logs during the 9 hours that the allocate channel commands are running.

Thanks for any help or pointers... we've searched Metalink but came up with nothing.

Jerry