Re: publish a pl/sql pkg

From: Doug Gernaat <dag_at_its.msstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:07:26 -0500

no problem...

i just have two functions in this package that i want to make available. one returns an integer and the other a string. i'm getting feedback that it sounds like a good candidate for a web service. even so... i'm just wondering what options i might have.

thanks

>>> "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> 9/17/2007 7:25:44 AM >>>
I'll admit that I got into some of the sidetracks and didn't deal with your questions. sorry.

you don't provide - probably for perfectly good reasons - a description of what the code does. Web services work, reasonably, well for small scale remote invocations of well designed small resultsets obtained from performant code. They work badly - in my experience - for large resultsets, for ill designed arbitrary resultsets from arbitrary code. So for example a webservice that answers the question "What's the customer address for customer reference 'XXXY123'" will likely be quite a useful component of a CRM database. One that answers the question "What was the average length of time customers with names that sound like smith spent on the phone to our customer service centre in the last 63.4 days and what products were they asking about anyway?" (i.e selected from a friendly GUI with a combination of check and textboxes) will likely perform poorly - but might make a great report.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA