Re: publish a pl/sql pkg

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:19:02 -0700

On 9/14/07, Doug Gernaat <dag_at_its.msstate.edu> wrote:

> i got a pl/sql pkg with some functions and procedures in it.
> it's working beautifully for other programs that use it within
> the same database environment.
>
> if i were to make this available to other depts within our
> enterprise, what route might you take? these other depts
> are using diff programming languages and databases for
> their web apps.

Sharing is a great idea.

Just keep in mind what will happen if people make use of it.

You will be maintaining this code for as long as you are with the company.

It's not that I am trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm, you just have to realize that no good deed goes unpunished. ;)

Been there, done that. The most recent example is an app that had a fairly good database design, and worked fairly well. The rules changed, I spent 80 hours (or more) adapting it, and I am still responsible for it. It will need
changed again soon due to changes in its data sources.

There's nothing wrong with this, other than it tends to interfere with everything
else that a DBA normally does, which all adds up to extra time spent working.

I've learned to be more careful what I volunteer for. :)

Just food for thought...

--
Jared Still