Re: publish a pl/sql pkg

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:01:07 +0200

I would (as per standard practice in many shops)

  1. create a user for each application (or group of applications) that needs to use the package - that way you will always be able to trace who is using your package. Say users APP_1, APP_2,..
  2. grant execute on your package to APP_X
  3. [maybe] create a private synonym on APP_X that points to the package - just to make life easier for them and hiding the schema name in which the package resides.

I would create a web service only if required by the apps, no need to introduce yet another non-performant layer (and frankly, code that calls a package directly is much easier to write and maintain than the equivalent using web services).

Maybe if some applications are J2EE, I might consider creating a mapping EJB (one method for each procedure/function) - but I would still prefer direct JDBC calling (for simplicity and performance). "simplicity" for both you and the applications developers.

HTH
Al

--
Alberto Dell'Era