Re: ASM IO distribution on a SAN

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:25:55 -0400

No. ASM will play the role of LVM and with LVM you setup LVs (Logical Volumes) not LUNs.

LUN is what coming from your SAN - it's like SCSI disk for your OS (/dev/sd... or /dev/emcpower... if you use multipathing and etc.).

When you configure LVM, you first create PV (physical volume) on each LUN from your SAN. Then you group PVs into VGs (volume groups). In each VG you can create one or more LVs (logical volume). After that you usually format your LV with a filesyste or you can use it as raw device. Theoretically, it's possible to setup ASM on top of it (and I've done it on practice - worked fine) but you don't really want to do that.

With ASM you just create diskgroup from a set of disks/LUNs. If you want to map ASM and LVM terminology:
- LUN formated as LVM PV = ASM disk (formated implicitly) - LVM VG = ASM DG in concept but DG is much more than that - it's VG with LV with special kind of filesystem.

There is no notion of LV in ASM. You can think that it's automatically creates one big LV on DG and formats it with special filesystem. On the other hand, conceptually, LV is also close to a file inside ASM diskgroup.

I hope these analogies help.

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com