RE: 12i Apps on Rac - ASM or OCSF

From: Brian Mullin <bmullin_at_salesforce.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:08:32 -0700

We use ASM with an Oracle Apps instance and have had no problems. ASM is, I think, far too much headache for a DBA to deal with...and doesn't make sense for small or mid-size businesses unless part of a larger enterprise storage architecture plan. For an Oracle Apps instance, my money would be on a single node (single-user) install, multi-processor Dell with Red Hat, Veritas file system to LUNs on an Hitachi SAN.

Thanks!

Brian

Brian Mullin | Sr. Oracle Applications DBA | www.Salesforce.com | P 415-536-6901 | bmullin_at_salesforce.com <mailto:bmullin_at_salesforce.com>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of kathy duret Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:33 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: 12i Apps on Rac - ASM or OCSF

We are going through this debate right now.

Our 12i Oracle Apps will be Oracle 10.2 on Linux Oracle Unbreakable, Dell hardware. EMC San Storage.

Dell is pushing OCSF and Oracle is pushing ASM

I have heard there are issues with ASM on Oracle Apps, others say that is old news.

Anyone out there using OCSF or ASM on Oracle Apps in a Rac environment care to toss in there hat and let me know the dirt?

I here ASM is a bit more complex especially on a SAN environment and you get better performance. But I heard there are bugs with Oracle Apps / Rac and you are less able

to troubleshoot issues without Oracle Support.

Anyone with any real experiences, both pro and con?

Thanks again.

Kathy

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48224/*http:/sims.yahoo.com/>