Re: ASM IO distribution on a SAN

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:28:12 +0100

I have quite a lot of sympathy with this - and certainly think SAN disk should be external redundant groups. SAN however is usually an expensive corporate strategy and so most dba groups should probably embrace and extend - at least until the second SAN is bought establishing the buy storage per application principle (again)

On 13/09/2007, Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com> wrote:
> I agree. What many people don't realize is that ASM was meant by Oracle
> to allow small- and medium-size shops, who didn't want to shell out the
> bucks for a storage system like Symmetrix, to realize the benefits of
> striping and mirroring. Running ASM on top of RAID gives you stripes on
> stripes (or what some people call "plaiding"-ugh).
>
> Having said all that, we run ASM on top of Symmetrix, as it's the
> standard tier one storage. There are *some* benefits, such as automatic
> rebalancing, but to my mind it's gilding the lily.
>

> Paul Baumgartel
> CREDIT SUISSE
> Information Technology
> Securities Processing Databases Americas
> One Madison Avenue
> New York, NY 10010
> USA
> Phone 212.538.1143