Re: sum of a column (development question)

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:48:12 -0500

Well, I see your point but ntile divides the data into a number of groups based on an argument in you give it. He wants the data from this year and last year, and the between statement with a group by, order by is the logical way to get that, without any recoding required. The use of ntile would not only be redundant, but require an additional calculation to determine the number of buckets to use. If he wants to modify the sql to allow quarterly or monthly data, a roll up would do that without requiring additional calculations to determine the number of groupings needed.

--
Andrew W. Kerber