RE: Need a lesson in RMAN for RAC

From: Peter McLarty <p.mclarty_at_cqu.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:14:39 +1000

Yes that is an incarnation number.

One thing we have had fun with is RMAN having difficulty with reading files back from a certain piece of tape management software that causes RMAN to decide that it cant get that file, so therefore goes back to another good backup it knows about. Only problem is because of tape management software issues, it just keeps going back and back and then takes forever to get reliable files as well as then having to do the same with archive logs to roll forward with I got really painful for us duplicating databases for the project so we now do a quick backup to some available space and the duplicate from it.

I suspect that you have experienced the same and RMAN was intending to restore forward to the other files. It just didn't see the reset logs in the middle.

I guess with the ability to recatalog you might have to invalidate old backups prior to the reset logs and then it wont know about those. You can recatalog them at a later date to allow restores from the older incarnations.

Cheers

Peter