Re: RAID 0 Vs Multiple files per tablespace spread across

From: Allan Nelson <anelson77388_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:36:18 -0500

This seems like a fairly bad setup whichever of these two alternatives you take. It is possible that the raid0 stripe would give you good performance as there is the possibility of getting multiple spindles into a read request and thus getting your data faster. It assumes that the hot blocks are striped evenly across the disks. The raid0 stripe is more likely to fail than a single disk and it will lose the whole database. A three file layout with one per disk would give you the potential to only need to recover one file and with careful distribution of the hot blocks would give nearly the same performance.

On the whole however, if you have a heavy I/O load then the 3 disks is the problem regardless of how you configure them.

Allan