RE: OLEDB internal queries - last try

From: Alvaro Jose Fernandez <alvaro.fernandez_at_sivsa.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:21:43 +0200

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the comments. No, this is Oracle bug in the implementation of the provider, since if we use (for example) Microsoft OLEDB provider, these queries are not generated.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

alvaro

I am not an OLE / ADO programmer so I can't explain this properly. At a previous job I had a good VB programmer accompany me and explain this situation in terms that other VB programmers could understand. Here is what I understand: ADO / OLE / VB can connect to many different data sources. These sources can even be simple flat files. By default, it assumes the data source is very simple, so it deals with it in a simple manner. For Oracle, this works out to being asked to download the entire table, which clogs the network.

     My understanding is this isn't a bug, but a matter of choosing ADO / OLE / VB options to let it know that it is dealing with something more sophisticated than a flat file.

     Perhaps someone else can provide more clarifying details.

Dennis Williams