Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux on VMware Server

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 06:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

I think you made a typo here--you didn't change the last digit by 1. At any rate, as has been mentioned, you can't just pick another address unless you're sure that other address has not been assigned to anything else (and won't be assigned in the future). If you can get to the VM, but not the internet, then you may have a routing issue. Make sure your default gateway (in the VM) matches the default gateway that is set on your host. Also make sure that the subnet mask in your VM linux install matches what's on your XP host (assuming that's where VMWare is running). You're right--it shouldn't be that complicated :). Dan ----- Original Message ---- From: "ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net" <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Monday, September 3, 2007 3:41:03 PM Subject: Oracle Enterprise Linux on VMware Server Has anyone gotten Oracle's Linux to run properly on VMWare? I don't know alot about linux anyway.. so it may just be me. I can't get the networking to work. I am using Bridge Connection in VMWare(as Howard Rogers recommends on www.dizwell.com) I am using a static IP. I ran an IP config on my Windows XP host and used the IP address from here: Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1: I changed the last number by one digit. So 195.175.25.1 became 195.175.25.1 and used a subnet mask of: 255.255.255.0 I can contanct my host, but I can't get to the internet. Also, when I use dhcp my network service will not even start. Been through the vmware and redhat docs. Again I don't pretend to be a systems administrator, but this can't be that complicated.