Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux on VMware Server

From: Neil Overend <neiloverend_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 22:59:22 +0100

I've had Oracle's Linux working on VMWare with a WinXP host.

With a bridging Network the IP address of the Linux Server must be a valid IP address on the network that the host is on, i.e. don't use the same IP as the host. The VM will then appear on the network as if it were a stand alone machine. In fact when you install the guest OS you should just imagine you are installing it on a new machine, forget that it's running on VMWare.

Also don't change anything in the VMware Network Adapters, I don't know how it works but it seems to me that VMWare manages them, you don't need to do anything with them.

I've installed various versions of Linux (Oracle, Red Hat, Ubuntu) , Win2k, WinXP and the networking (DHCP and Static IP) all worked out of the box without problems.

Neil