RE: ASM Risk / Rewards

From: <>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 18:58:12 +0200

Alex and others,

I was a lucky guy to meet with ASM for the first time 3 years ago on a non-RAC environment on Windows2003 and I was surprised how it worked well. Although we had only 3 mirrored disks the response time for single-block I/O was about 5ms and there were about 400 users connected to the system. The I/O was really evenly spread across all 3 disks.

I have another WORA installation - a 2-node RAC which is in production now for more than one year. It is a Windows2003 + standard edition + RAC + ASM and a small storage array. I'm now administering that WORA installation more than a year and we had a lot of funny problems on this RAC, but there were no ASM related problems. I never had to do something on ASM level except startup/shutdown and some manual archivelog purging. The disk I/O response times are here normal as well.

So don't think I am a Windows fan. My personal belief is that Windows is good only for my laptop. But my experience with ASM either on Windows or Unix/Linux is very good so far.

Regards, Joze