Re: oem licensing

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

To your last sentence below--I'd additionally consult your own company's legal department. I'm no lawyer either, but if there is a dispute in the future, I think it is unlikely that a defense of "my sales rep told me this is how it works" will hold up ;). As many of us have noted, it's also no good to say "some guy on oracle-l said this is the way it worked". Then again, maybe I just watch too much Law & Order! Dan ----- Original Message ---- From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com> Subject: RE: oem licensing _filtered { font-family:Tahoma;} _filtered {margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;} P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";} LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";} DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";} A:link { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} A:visited { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} P { FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN-LEFT:0in;MARGIN-RIGHT:0in;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";} SPAN.EmailStyle21 { COLOR:navy;FONT-FAMILY:Arial;} DIV.Section1 { } I believe Andrew is correct - for the "Infrastructure Repository Databases", e.g. Grid Control/OEM, RMAN and the Metadata Repository for App Server - Oracle requires Enterprise Edition and does partitioning on its own tables. I'm pretty sure it does this even if you don't run Grid Control, but just run basic Standard Edition with Database Control - it will still internally partition some of the AWR tables. You don't have to purchase the partitioning option for these purposes. I better throw in the usual disclaimer here - I am not a lawyer, nor am I authorized to represent Oracle. All statements here are just my understanding of the docs. Please consult with your Oracle sales rep for the official answer.