RE: oem licensing

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:56:17 -0700

I believe Andrew is correct - for the "Infrastructure Repository Databases", e.g. Grid Control/OEM, RMAN and the Metadata Repository for App Server - Oracle requires Enterprise Edition and does partitioning on its own tables. I'm pretty sure it does this even if you don't run Grid Control, but just run basic Standard Edition with Database Control - it will still internally partition some of the AWR tables. You don't have to purchase the partitioning option for these purposes.

I better throw in the usual disclaimer here - I am not a lawyer, nor am I authorized to represent Oracle. All statements here are just my understanding of the docs. Please consult with your Oracle sales rep for the official answer.

Regards,
Brandon

From: Kosaraju, Ravi [mailto:RKosaraju_at_triu.com]

I have never heard it put that way. My understanding is that it is an all-or-nothing proposition. I would think Oracle will only use partitioning if your app "uses" them.

From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com]

The way I understand it, we dont have to pay extra for the partitioning option unless our own applications use it (I know its used by Oracle itself, but that doesnt count).