RE: RAC -- RAW Device Multipath (Shared Storage)

From: <rama.ari_at_accenture.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:01:25 -0500

Chrles,

We tried your suggestion, it didn't work for us.

Thanks,

Rama

From: Charles Schultz [mailto:sacrophyte_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:57 PM To: Ari, Rama
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: RAC -- RAW Device Multipath (Shared Storage)

I sent this to Rama earlier, but wanted to include the list:

We had similar issues on different hardware. ASMLib is looking for the first shared path in your mpath, which is not what you want. I suggest putting the EXCLUDE line in oracleasm as follows:

<urbdbbcp2> /u01/app/oracle: cat /etc/sysconfig/oracleasm
#
# This is a configuration file for automatic loading of the Oracle
# Automatic Storage Management library kernel driver. It is generated
# By running /etc/init.d/oracleasm configure. Please use that method
# to modify this file
#

# ORACLEASM_ENABELED: 'true' means to load the driver on boot.
ORACLEASM_ENABLED=true

# ORACLEASM_UID: Default user owning the /dev/oracleasm mount point.
ORACLEASM_UID=oracle

# ORACLEASM_GID: Default group owning the /dev/oracleasm mount point.
ORACLEASM_GID=dba

# ORACLEASM_SCANBOOT: 'true' means fix disk perms on boot
ORACLEASM_SCANBOOT=true

# ORACLEASM_CLEARBOOT: 'true' means clean old disk perms on boot
ORACLEASM_CLEARBOOT=true

# ORACLEASM_SCANORDER: Matching patterns to order disk scanning
ORACLEASM_SCANORDER=
# ORACLEASM_SCANEXCLUDE: Matching patterns to exclude disks from scan
ORACLEASM_SCANEXCLUDE=sd

                We are planning to setup RAC with two node on Redhat Linux. We want to use RAW devices with multipath using Hitachi 9970. We could see shared storage from both the nodes. Cluster Verify fails with following error message.

                 [oracle_at_soadbstg01 cluvfy]$ ./runcluvfy.sh comp ssa -n soadbstg01,soadbstg02

                Verifying shared storage accessibility

                Checking shared storage accessibility...

		WARNING:
		Unable to determine the sharedness of /dev/sda on nodes:
		soadbstg02,soadbstg01

		Shared storage check failed on nodes
"soadbstg02,soadbstg01".
		Oracle (cvuqdisk) is looking for /dev/sd* location. RAW
Partitions are configured as /dev/oracleocr. Is there a way to bypass default location?
		/usr/sbin/cvuqdisk seems to look for /dev/sd*
		trying to pass /dev/oracleocr/ocr01 doesn't seem to
work.
		Is there a way to pass an alternate device path?

		Thanks,

		Rama

		This message is for the designated recipient only and
may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

        On 8/29/07, rama.ari_at_accenture.com < rama.ari_at_accenture.com> wrote:

--
Charles Schultz