Oracle RAC Patch Application

From: Khan, Muhammad S <Muhammad.Khan_at_ca.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:40:02 -0400

Hi Gurus.

I haven't done much of the work on Oracle RAC, but I was having a serious debate about Oracle RAC verses SqlServer 2005 clustering option (trying to defend Oracle) with my Project Manager, when he raised the point that if you have 50 instances in Oracle RAC, and you have to apply a patch, you'll have to apply patch on every single instance. Whereas in Sqlserver 2005, you would apply the patch on one instance and it will be done on all of them, just like that.

I was not sure about his argument cuz I've never applied a patch on Oracle RAC, but those of you who have experienced this, may have a better comment on this. Will you please share this here so that I get my concepts clear about Oracle RAC before getting engaged into any such debate again?

Thanks.