RE: Renaming a Tablespace in 8i & 9i

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:16:44 -0400

I would double check that. I seem to remember rebuilding my indexes with Standard One regularly and without any issues.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:38 AM To: godwin.ror_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Renaming a Tablespace in 8i & 9i

Everyone is assuming that you have Enterprise Edition. If you have Standard or Standard One, you cannot rebuild your indexes online or in parallel. These features are not available in those editions.

Sandy

On 8/27/07, Godwin vincent <godwin.ror_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

          I am working on renaming a tablespace. I am working on Oracle versions 8i & 9i (HP-UX) and would like to request your help in this regard. I have an idea as what process needs to be followed,

  1. Create new tablespace
  2. Move all objects in the old tablespace to the new tablespace
  3. Drop the old tablespace.

The main step here is implementing the 2nd process, that is moving objects. I have tables, indexes, and other objects stored in the same tablepsace (USERS). Suppose, I want to rename the USERS tablespace to PERSONAL. How can i move all the objects (tables, indexes, views, materialized views, packages, procedures, etc) from the old tablespace to new tablespace? For tables, we can issue "Alter table <table_name> move tablespace <tablespace_name>" but how can i move all other objects like indexes, views, etc.., which reside in this tablespace?

Any information will be of great help.

Thank you,

Godwin.