RE: Highwater mark for tablespace and table

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:34:38 -0400

If you don't need the table to continuously exist (for grants, etc.) and if I'm correct in surmising that this tablespace only has one table and that your point is to back up less, then you can just drop the tablespace including contents and recreate it and the table.

If you need the table to continuously exist, then an alter table move should not take much time after you truncate. Then drop and create the original tablespace and move the table back.

I do not believe there is a single convenient command in 9i to mark blocks above the last occupied address as never written.

Please let me know if this does not work for you; I think it *should* work but I've not tested it.

Regards,

mwf

From: hrishy [mailto:hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk] Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:31 PM To: Yasin Baskan; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Highwater mark for tablespace and table

Hi

Thanks again

One more question if we truncate a table then the higwater mark of that table gets reset but what happens to highwater mark of the datafile

I am aksing this in relation to RMAN in 9i

<snip>