Re: Implementing Virtual Private Databases

From: David Mann <dmann99_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:38:33 -0400

> Subject: Implementing Virtual Private Databases
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:40:41 -0500
> From: "Schauss, Peter" <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com>
<snip>
> Using this approach, it looks like I need to create an AFTER LOGON
> trigger for every user to whom we are granting ad hoc access. Is there
> a way to avoid this?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Schauss

An application I work on has a single AFTER LOGON ON DATABASE trigger to handle this without adding an AFTER LOGON trigger for each user.

We have a table that lists username and their security level. The AFTER LOGON trigger reads the table at logon and sets the context accordingly.

The operation is very lightweight so unless you log on/off frequently I wouldn't worry about it. The caveat is that it is on the DATABASE not the user or schema, so it will get run for every logon. This may or may not be OK if you have multiple vendors providing schemas for the same instance.

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us