Re: Renaming a Tablespace in 8i & 9i

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:50:14 -0700

Tom,

In the spirit of collaboration, there are a few points that I'd like to clarify from your post.

  1. Neither dba_objects nor sys.obj$ contain a tablespace column. To find the tablespace in which a segment or segment partition is stored, we look in dba_segments. If you insist upon using the SYS schema, you can look in sys.seg$.
  2. Views (assuming this is what you mean by "not materialized views") are logically defined objects, but not segments, and thus don't take up space anywhere, except as a definition in sys.view$. I suppose the right thing to tell the OP is simply that he doesn't have to do anything with views since they are not segments and don't consume space.
  3. It is in no way currently standard practice to separate indexes from tables. That old chestnut is a relic of the pre-RAID JBOD days of enterprise computing. Even back then, the rationale for index segregation was based on an fundamental misunderstanding of how blocks are read for index lookups, and a misguided belief that fine-tuning "head movement" would improve access times. This belief never took into account the reality on a multi-user system of many processes performing all kinds of writes and reads to blocks all over the place all the time.
  4. While it is true that the indexes for the tables the OP moves will become invalid after the move, the answer to this is certainly not to use "the dependencies view" (I assume you are referring to DBA_DEPENDENCIES), which does not provide a mapping of index to table. To rebuild indexes, the OP would simply find all indexes for a given table from dba_indexes (predicating by table_owner and table_name), then for each index, run ALTER INDEX <owner.index> REBUILD [TABLESPACE <tablespace>] [ONLINE] [PARALLEL] etc...
  5. The OP certainly should run utlrp.sql after a table move, in case there are any packages, procedures, views, etc, that become invalid as a result of performing the move DDL. However, this does not require creating a list of dependencies of any kind, and does not really constitute a "problem."
  6. Running utlrp.sql has been a standard documented part of upgrade and patchset apply procedures for as long as I can remember, all the way through version 11g.

In a nutshell, for the OP to accomplish his goal, he simply would:

This procedure will also move the table segments that comprise materialized views and materialized view logs.

The outage time can be reduced by using NOLOGGING and PARALLEL for the table and index rebuilds. The only caveat is to remember to set the tables and indexes to LOGGING and NOPARALLEL after the rebuilds. The OP should also gather segment statistics with DBMS_STATS after the move, as segment sizes, high water mark, and data density may change dramatically.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net