Re: Same old story, windows vs Linux

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:13:35 -0700 (PDT)

Just so we're clear, this is quite a different question. My original response was directed at the question "should we use Linux or Windows" and I responded "whichever platform you know best is the best platform for you".

As for which one runs faster, that is easy to determine, but I don't know of any apples-to-apples comparison except for the published benchmarks (which are usually done on very large hardware configs). Of course, if you're really good at making AIX run faster and really bad at making Windows run faster, then AIX will likely beat Windows even if the hardware-based prediction is otherwise.

If you change the question to be "which one runs faster on the same hardware: linux or windows" then I think you'll find that question already addressed in numerous online sources (also probably a previous thread from Oracle-L if I were to guess--but I didn't look yet).

Dan