RE: How I save Cingular Wireless USD 30M

From: Cosmin Ioan <cosmini_at_bridge-tech.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:04:51 -0700 (PDT)

Allen,
I agree with your post. Whether it is Windows, other OS'es, any RDBMS, corruption of internal dictionaries or registries, etc, must and should be taken seriously.

If anybody could post some links to (detailed) papers written on how to detect (preferably real time) corruption of blocks/ dictionary overall, etc, and moreso, fix these in an 24/7 environment without much down time, it would be quite beneficial to many, I dare say.

We all know data fragmentation, data selectivity, frequency distribution of values, statistics (and many more things) can be a drag on databases, but corruption, that's a different beast that must be dealt with seriously (and have not seen many papers dealing with this ;-)

anyone venturing to write about this? there are many brilliant people on this forum who can help, I'm sure many would be appreciative!

cheers,
Cosmin

"Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com> wrote: Tom, please don't be defensive - you posted your resume making an extraordinary claim to a list of hundreds of Oracle professionals - what did you expect? You know this list's primary purpose is sharing the detailed solutions for Oracle problems, so that's all we're asking for. Why the solution to an Oracle bug would be confidential doesn't really make sense to me. There are thousands of sites on the web posting all kinds of details about Oracle internals, problems and solutions (e.g. Wolfgang's 10053 paper, Richard Foote's index internals, numerous postings by Jonathan Lewis, Tom Kyte, Steve Adams and countless others). All of these people have made their careers on digging as deep as they can into Oracle internals and sharing their findings. What is different about your case that it must be kept confidential? Was there something special about these databases that made them susceptible to this  problem, or is it something that all of us could encounter (or even be encountering already unbeknownst to us)? Obviously we'd all like very much to know if that could be the case so please share any details that you can, or at least tell us why you can't do so.

 Thanks,
 Brandon

 From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tom Pall

Let me state that this is the last challenge I will answer.

The database was spending extra CPU time.

The particular database which went belly up (but I had cloned and fixed and fed the backlogged data to) was unusable. It would not open up. So no steps could have been taken. I could quote iTARS from Oracle Support on this but that is Oracle and Cingular confidential.  Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message or attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.