Re: Same old story, windows vs Linux

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:21:06 +0100

I did a performance comparison for UKOUG last year on x86. Executive summary - there's nothing in it worth worrying about. There's a 64 bit comparison out there as well. Executive summary - there's nothing in it worth worrying about. The consistent, but small difference is that Windows tends to do IO intensive loads better, Linux CPU/Memory intensive loads better. None of this is on my new site and I need to change that so thanks for the reminder. Ease of use and support match very well with the skill set of your existing employees - boths dbas and sys admins.

Linux is of course free to download and test, and handily so is windows for 6 months. You should be able to do the tests yourself. Swingbench from dominicgiles.com is a handy free oracle centric tool.

regards

Niall

On 8/26/07, Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il> wrote:

> We have to decide for a new medium database.
>
> Any recent papers on:
> Performance
> Ease of use
> Support
>
> In short: any reason to prefer one OS on the other.
>
> --
> Adar Yechiel
> Rechovot, Israel

Niall Litchfield