Fwd: increasing parallel_max_servers.

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:26:53 -0700

Gene,

What makes you think that your current value of parallel_max_servers is not enough or that it is fully utilized so you need more? I ask because long ago, I had to step into a situation where an "expert" recommended setting this value to a large one in a 2 CPU box (albeit on 7.x) to "increase the performance" and that killed the CPUs :) Not sure how many CPUs you have on your system, but these days you rarely see anything more than a 32 CPU box.

You might want to take a look at an excellent article on Tuning Parallel Execution by Doug Burns in the Q3 2005 issue of IOUG's SELECT Journal before you finalize this.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc

-- John Kanagaraj <>< DB Soft Inc http://jkanagaraj.wordpress.com (Sorry - not an Oracle blog!) ** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do not reflect those of my employer or customers ** -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l