Re: Table ending with $

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:31:40 -0600

Oracle embeds "$" in the names of internal tables for a reason, and
that reason is clarity of purpose.  Some would argue that Oracle's
ancestry with VMS explains the use of the "$" throughout, but then
explain VMS?  That's my idea, and I'm sticking to it...

If the euro symbol had been around in the late 1970s and early 1980s, then I'm sure it would have been used for column naming in Oracle's internal tables, instead of "#".  As it is, I believe that the "#" symbol used in the name of columns of internal tables represents "pound sterling" more than "number sign", and nobody can convince me otherwise...

"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed—for lack of a better word—is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms—greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge—has marked the upward surge of mankind."

-Gordon Gekko, played by Michael Douglas in the 1987 film "Wall Street"

OK, back under my rock now....<creak> <slam!>....

Dean Paul wrote:

Hi,

I've been seeing couple of tables ending with $ in one of GIS instance. aNY IDEA?
Thanks
-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Aug 24 2007 - 11:31:40 CDT