Re: Oracle 11g - Invisible Indexes -- Automated SQL Tuning ?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:12:04 +0800

If Oracle's "Automatic Tuning" were to "decide to create an index and test it" at "any" time {"any" meaning : when the DBA is not prepared for it , in the middle of the month-end job runs when the database is busiest and Oracle wants to do it's utmost to "auto tune" your database}, what is the impact of the sudden burst of I/O to actually create the index (the "invisibility" comes only after having really created the whole index) ?!

Hemant

At 03:09 AM Tuesday, Robert Freeman wrote:
>I rather suspect where Oracle is going with the
>invisible index is associated with the automated SQL
>tuning. Say, for example, Oracle reviews SQL that has
>run and determines that an index would benefit the
>execution plan. Why not create it as an invisible
>index (thus, you don't impact other execution plans),
>test it and quantify the performance and then, if you
>get say 3 or 4x performance, you make it visible.
>
>Automatic index tuning, perhaps a new feature of
>Oracle 11gR2. It just seems a natural outgrowth of
>automatic SQL tuning in 11g.
>
>RF

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital
and
http://hemantscribbles.blogspot.com
and
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" !"
Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html