Time in V$%METRIC views are not correct

From: Edgar Chupit <chupit_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:40:09 +0200

Hello oracle-l,

I have very strange issue on several our databases, it started few weeks ago, I have raised a TAR, but Oracle Support is still unable to help me with this. I specially don't restart few test database instances, because I'm very curious to find what could be the cause of this anomaly.

Platform: Oracle 10.2.0.2 EE, Windows 2003, 2 Node RAC

The start_time/end_time that is reported in all V$%METRIC views is not correct and is very different from system time. For example, this is simple test case:

SQL> select sysdate from dual;
SYSDATE

20.08.2007. 16:30:09

SQL> select min(end_time), max(end_time) end_time from v$sysmetric;

MIN(END_TIME) END_TIME
-------------------- --------------------
01.07.2007. 23:27:09 01.07.2007. 23:27:39

SQL> exec dbms_lock.sleep( 15 );

SQL> select min(end_time), max(end_time) end_time from v$sysmetric;

MIN(END_TIME) END_TIME
01.07.2007. 23:27:09 01.07.2007. 23:27:54

When this issue has started the start_time/end_time was in future (2008) and now suddenly it is in the past (July). I can't even imagine where does Oracle takes it's time or what function does it applies to calculate METRIC statistics and I also was not able to find anything related on internet/metalink.
The only solution I've found for this issue, is restart of the instance.

Thank you in advance for any help related to solving this issue or finding the root cause of this issue.

--

Best regards,
Edgar Chupit

--