Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> Re: upgrades, conversions and ora-600's! oh my!

Re: upgrades, conversions and ora-600's! oh my!

From: LS Cheng <>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:41:28 +0200
Message-ID: <>

I upgraded a 32 bit to 64 bit on Sun Solaris recently, it was a Oracle E-Business Suite Database.

The only problem I got was with Intermedia, it becomes invalid because when the database was upgraded from to there was a bug in the upgrade process which cuased all this. Was fixable. Didnt get any ORA-00600 though.

But if I was you instead of opening SRs I would rather do an export/import if you are facing so much problems.



On 8/17/07, Robyn <> wrote:

> Hello all ...
> I'm working on an upgrade from to with multiple interim
> patches (version and patch level required by SAP). I'm consistently hitting
> errors in the upgrade process in different copies of the database that, per
> support, are related to a prior 32 bit to 64 bit conversion, although just
> to make it interesting, the errors manifest slightly differently in
> different databases. I think the 64 bit conversion occurred while the
> database was on version 8.1.7, and upgrades to 9i and subsequent patchsets
> reported no errors.
> Working with support, I've implemented patches and workarounds, including
> editing several of the catalog creation scripts. By applying a patch and
> removing the XDB component in cpmigdb.sql, we're able to get the upgrade
> process to complete without errors, the registry is valid and there are no
> additional invalid objects. However, installing XDB after the fact results
> in more ORA-600s so I'm still working with support to figure out the XDB
> install.
> I've testing multiple copies on both HP-UX and HP Intanium but have not
> upgrade any of the *real* test database because my comfort level with the
> resulting database just isn't there yet. Has anyone run into similar issues
> after a 32 bit to 64 bit conversion? Were you able to resolve them and how
> did you determine the structure is clean? As I understand it, there is the
> potential with this issue to get a valid report from the registry and still
> have an underlying issue, and I want to be certain the upgrade will be clean
> before running it even the real test system. One option that has been
> presented is completely recreating the databases, but production is about
> 1.8 TB and rebuilding would be a huge and expensive effort.
> These are samples of the errors I was getting; I've already pulled all the
> docs from Metalink so I'm aware of the various workarounds. Just wondering
> how many others have seen similar issues and how they regained confidence in
> the core structure. I've got a big server and 3 database copies staged and
> backed up right up to the catupgrd.sql step, so I can restore and retest
> to my heart's content if there's another variant to try.
> tia ... Robyn
> Error samples:
> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [17069], [0xC0000002458F74C8],
> [], [], [], [], [], [] (resolved with the patch and workaround)
> OCI-21500: internal error code, arguments: [koxsihread1], [0], [0], [4],
> [], [], [], [] (with a call stack trace when utlrp is run the first time
> after the upgrade)
> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kocgpn129], [2], [], [], [],
> [],[], [] (multiple times when attempting to install XDB)
Received on Fri Aug 17 2007 - 14:41:28 CDT

Original text of this message