Re: Early 11g Advanced Table Compression #'s

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:45:48 +0100

I agree that Roby's test cases are interesting - I'm also not sure to what extent they represent OLTP workload - insert ... select looks more DW to me. On the other hand much of the discussion about compression has centred around the potential for cost saving in the DW arena. I'm impressed at the idea of running tests in class breaks though - something I might do next time I get classroom training!

Niall

On 8/17/07, Pedro Espinoza <raindoctor_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't consider Roby's test cases are horrible. Anyone who criticizes
> the hype seems to be criticized. Look at the argument of Roby: "But,
> then again, if your operations are that minimal, you probably aren't
> creating enough data to need compression in the first place!"
>

> Please do not preach me about ceteris paribus clauses used in the
> philosophy of sciences.
>
> The common nonsense peddled is like: It all depends. But the question
> precisely is this: can one *systematically* explain negative cases?
>
> I am being more charitable with Roby than with the oracle hype, of course!
>

> On 8/17/07, Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org> wrote:
> > Could you explain exactly how any these tests reflect any type of OLTP
> > workload? That is the new thing in 11g correct that you are
> > attempting to demonstrate performance on, correct? Rather than
> > commenting that the advanced compression is "quite horrible" I'd
> > comment that your choice of tests are quite horrible.
> >
> > On 8/17/07, Roby Sherman <rxsherm_at_interealm.com> wrote:
> > > Seems my mailer has cut off the apostrophe from the URL... It should
> be:
> > >

> http://web.mac.com/tikimac/iWeb/silicon/Roby_Sherman/Oracle_Certifiable/Entries/2007/8/16_11G_TABLE_COMPRESSION_-_Don%E2%80%99t_Believe_the_Hype.html

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA