internal dictionary queries in OLEDB/ODBC 9.2-10g

From: Alvaro Jose Fernandez <alvaro.fernandez_at_sivsa.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:01:48 +0200

Hello,

This is not an RDBMS, but a client-related question.

We're programming under VB6 ADO/DAO environments.

Oracle ODBC/OLEDB provider, on certain situations, sends out to the RDBMS dictionary querys (aka "select * from (select NULL ......from DBSCHEMA_INDEXES ..., etc), whenever we use

CursorLocation = adUseClient. This always is the case since years, afaik, on ODBC/OLEDB drivers from the series 9.2 client, and also from 10.2.0.2 .

This querys are really parsed by the RDBMS. They cost a bit, and, in some situations which we found, their accumulated time worths for the 90% of CPU usage of the application (though their individual performance is ok).

I'm not talking about problems accesing the internal SYS views/objects / performance of the query plans of this internal queries, but certainly as more and more objets in the dictionary this problem is getting worse.

One workaround until know was to create the referenced views in each app's schema: ALL_IND_COLUMNS , ALL_INDEXES, ALL_TABLES, ALL_COLUMNS, but as modified versions of USER_xxx_xxxx (ie, a view APP.ALL_IND_COLUMNS maps to USER_IND_COLUMNS, with INDEX_OWNER and TABLE_OWNER added).

What I would like to know, is any of you all know if are other methods to deal with this "thing" (without changing CursorLocation = adUseServer, which stops these querys ....but means rewrite all code/base libraries) .

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

regards,

Alvaro